Electrical problems can be dangerous and should be addressed by a professional electrician right away. Here is a list of some common signs that there may be a problem with your household electrical system.
- Frequent electrical surges. If you experience frequent power surges, there is likely a problem with an electric device connected to your home grid or with the wiring itself. Frequent surges can damage your electrical wiring, as well as any electrical devices plugged in at the time of the surge.
- Light switches working erratically. Switches that don’t work or work erratically could be the result of a faulty outlet, circuit, or wiring.
- Sags power. Dips in power could be due to faulty or low-quality devices connected to your power grid.
- Circuit breaker tripping often. High wattage devices like blow dryers and toaster ovens tend to trip the circuit. Notice what devices you were using when the circuit was tripped to determine if this was the cause.
- Unusually high electric bills. This could be due to a leaky hot water system, damaged wiring, circuits, or frequent use of devices that cause a power surge.
- Electrical shocks. If a certain outlet is producing frequent electrical shocks, it could be due to a wiring problem. Electrical shocks can be dangerous, so you should consult an electrician right away.
- Light bulbs burning out too often. Your light bulbs could be burning out due to overly high wattage, insulation too close to the light, bad wiring on the circuit, faulty wiring on the mains, poor connection on the circuit, or too much wattage on one switch.
If you experience one or more of these electrical issues in your home, it could be due to a faulty electrical device or a device with an overly high-power draw. However, it could also be a sign of something more serious and potentially dangerous to you, your family, and your home. Your safety is paramount, so you shouldn’t hesitate to contact an experienced and licensed electrician right away. Contact your local Medford Winters Electric at the first sign of electrical abnormalities so we can prevent any further damage or danger. Call us today at (541) 664-4505.