Understanding the Dangers of Carbon Monoxide

Most Medford, Oregon homeowners ensure that their homes are properly outfitted with smoke detectors, but not everyone has the same concern for carbon monoxide detectors. While a fire may be a more common hazard, carbon monoxide leaks are extremely dangerous because, unlike the smoke and heat produced by a fire, carbon monoxide is wholly undetectable to humans. The gas has no color, taste, or smell that we can identify on our own.

Cases of carbon monoxide are most common in the winter. This is because residents of Medford are more likely to use fuel-burning devices that may emit carbon monoxide. In addition, households are usually far less ventilated, as families strive to eliminate the loss of heat as best they can.

The initial symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning involve dizziness, shortness of breath, and nausea, which may be enough to give you an idea of what’s going on. However, if exposed to enough carbon monoxide, people often lose consciousness altogether, rendering them incapable of fleeing to safety. Once unconscious, it is unlikely that people will be able to recover from the poisoning. This is why it’s critical to become aware of the issue before it reaches that state. This is where carbon monoxide detectors come in.

Carbon monoxide detectors operate in slightly different ways depending on the model, but their key function is to identify when there are excess amounts of carbon monoxide in the air. When this occurs, the detectors will give off a loud alarm, alerting the residents of the home that it’s time to evacuate immediately. But merely owning a detector isn’t enough.

The longer you are exposed to carbon monoxide, the worse the effects will be. That’s why it’s critical to ensure they are installed in the most appropriate areas. At Winters Electric, our team can assess your home and verify where you should have carbon monoxide detectors installed for the safety of your family. If you already have detectors, we can also ensure that they are operating properly and don’t need to be replaced. For assistance with these services and more, contact us via our website, or give us a call at (541) 664-4505.

Comments are closed.