It is nearly impossible to imagine living in a world without electricity. It powers so many aspects of our lives that we tend to take it for granted and don’t even think about it. It’s as much a twenty-four-hour necessity as the air we breathe. Other than getting new electrical fixtures installed or times that we remodel or build additions onto our homes, we rarely think about calling an electrician. Unfortunately, however, there are electrical emergencies that arise and require the immediate services of a skilled electrician. Keep these signs that you may need emergency electrical service in mind.
- Abnormal sparking. While an occasional spark when you plug something in is not a sign of a problem, be on the lookout for large sparks that leap out of the plug or last for more than a second. Yellow or white-colored sparks can also mean trouble, as harmless ones are typically blue.
- Breaker box noises. If you notice a humming or buzzing sound coming from your breaker box, get it checked out right away. Even sounds that seem harmless are not normal and should be taken seriously.
- Unusual odors. If you notice a burning smell that seems to emanate from an electrical outlet, it may be overheating. You may even see signs of burning on the outlet. If this occurs, switch the power to the outlet off, unplug appliances, and call for help.
- Tripping circuit breaker. It is common for your circuit breaker to trip when you have too many things plugged in. That is part of its job. If it seems to be tripping all the time, however, it may indicate a problem.
- Dimming and flickering lights. If this occurs frequently, it could be a sign of a problem with your wiring or the need to update your electrical system.
When you need electrical service and don’t have time to wait, you need a professional team that is available 24/7. Winters Electric provides this service to keep our neighbors in Southern Oregon safe when they have an electrical emergency. Call on us any time at (541) 664-4505