The electric panel is an electrical service box that receives electricity from the electric company and distributes it to the circuits inside your home. An electric panel generally lasts between 20 and 30 years, but it should be inspected regularly for signs of damage. Even if your panel is working properly, however, our electricity usage has greatly increased over the past decade or so. To most effectively meet your family’s energy needs, it may be time for you to upgrade your panel.
Signs You Need to Upgrade
The following signs indicate that you should upgrade your electric panel:
- Dimming or flickering lights, especially when running other appliances
- Small electric shocks when you touch your appliances
- Appliances are not running at full capacity
- Breaker trips regularly, indicating a short or overloaded circuit or loose wiring – this can result in sparking, a serious fire hazard
- Electric panel is warm to the touch, makes a crackling sound, or produces a burning smell
- Scorch marks or sparks at power outlets
- Excessive use of power strips or extension cords – this indicates that your electricity needs are more than your home was designed to handle
If you want to install new appliances, are planning a home remodel, or are expanding your family, you should consider upgrading your electric panel to accommodate the increase in electric consumption.
Replace Your Fuse Box with Circuit Breakers
Fuse boxes and circuit breakers function by monitoring electric currents in a circuit, breaking it, and preventing the electricity from flowing if the current gets too high. Fuses are single-use and work by melting when the current increases too much. Not only do they require replacement, but they are also fire hazards, so they are no longer installed in new homes.
If your home has a fuse box-based electric system, you should consider replacing this outdated technology with a more efficient circuit breaker panel. Circuit breakers can be reset with a simple switch flip and are a much safer option.
Benefits of Upgrading Your Electric Panel
- Prevent potential electric fires from loose connections or faulty wiring
- Save money on your electric bill with a more efficient panel
- Reduce homeowner insurance
- Increase the value of your home
Hire the Experts
If you’ve realized the time has come to replace your electric panel, hire an expert electrician to ensure your upgrade is done safely and effectively. Winters Electric is a family-owned and operated business serving Medford and neighboring areas for over 40 years. Call us today to discuss your electric needs and receive a free estimate!