Keep Your Home Safe During the Holidays

Winter is a time to enjoy your indoor space with family and friends. However, there are many risks to be aware of during the cold weather because electrical fires and shocks can occur when people use certain appliances and devices indoors. To prevent severe injuries and even death, keep reading to learn tips to stay safe from these hazards,

Heating Pads and Electric Blankets

Hundreds of fires are caused each year by electric blankets and heating pads, especially ones that are more than ten years old. Commonly used in conjunction with comforters or other blankets, these devices can easily overheat and cause a fire when they are folded or tucked in between layers. In addition, placing anything on top of a heating pad or electric blanket increases the chances of overheating. If you notice any frayed cords, cracked cords, or other wear and tear, this is yet another hazard, and the pad or blanket should be disposed of.

A safer option during the colder months is to utilize layers around the house, such as sweaters and jackets, and to use warm blankets and comforters at night that do not require electricity.

Home Generators

Many families find themselves in a situation that requires the use of a generator, but these pose risks like electric shock, electrocution, fire, and carbon monoxide poisoning. Serious injuries and even deaths are caused each year when people attempt to use portable generators for electricity, and you should always consult an electrician before trying to purchase and set one up at home. You should never try to power the house wiring by plugging a generator into a wall outlet, as this can cause electrocution. Always follow the directions supplied with the generator.

Overloaded Outlets

Too many appliances plugged into a single outlet or extension cord can also cause overheating, which can then start an electrical fire. Wall sockets should also not be overloaded with cords and appliances, and any cords and sockets should be visible and accessible to ensure they do not spark onto furniture, curtains, blankets, and other household items.

Winters Electric Is Here to Help

We offer 24/7 emergency service to homes and commercial buildings throughout southern Oregon. Contact us for any assistance with generators, heating, and other electrical services.


Comments are closed.